- Object Narrative about Allen’s Madonna and Child (1930s) | The Initiative for the Study of Material and Visual Cultures of Religion (MAVCOR), 2013
- “Portraits with Evanesence” | The New York Times (March 14, 1999)
- “Images of Rebirth” | The Hartford Courant (January 31, 1999)
- “Doctoral student uncovers long-forgotten portraits by black photographer” | Yale Bulletin & Calendar (January 25-February 1, 1999)
- “Exhibit features works by photographer of key figures in Harlem Renaissance” | Yale Bulletin & Calendar (January 18-25, 1999)
- Exhibition catalogue: Portraiture & the Harlem Renaissance: The Photographs of James L. Allen. New Haven, CT: Yale University Art Gallery, 1999.